FICRA BOARD MEETING MINUTES 11/14/19

Board Attendees: Hal Goodell, Naomi Grant, Kyle Larsen, Howard Stapleton, Miguel Martinez and Rob Moore in attendance. Pia Beetham, excused.
Meeting Called to order at 7:02 pm
Minutes from the Oct 10th Meeting are approved.
Public Comments: Dave McHugh reports the Gateway from today says that the greater Gig Harbor Community Foundation has 5 separate $500 awards to give to a community organization, for a community spirit award. Dec 6th is the submission date. Miguel and Rob Moore would like to create a canvas back drop to be used in the Christmas and Easter. This might be a project submission. Howard will look into the submission requirements, in coordination with Rob. Darrell Johnson here to give update on progress of university wildlife census. Howard feels that more information about the Island is good. Wildlife census will start on Tuesday. 35 cameras will be place on the properties of persons who have already consented to this. Professors Christ Shell (UW Ecologist) and Peter Hotum (UPS) to make all the contacts. They are wanting to look at mammals numbers and behaviors. It is a Capstone project for several grad students. There will be a presentation in March to the FICRA Board, public welcome as usual.
President’s Report: Miguel reports that Lisa (who has been fantastic with managing FB and Newsletters) would like to step down from that role. Miguel has a couple of candidates in mind but would be interested in interviewing anyone who might be interested in replacing Lisa. The intension is to find more than one person to divide the tasks so that it is easier. Looking forward, Miguel would like to start discussing 2020 board candidates now. Jim seconds this thought and reminds him that those with experience are willing to be an assistant. Brandon Beetham suggests that everyone brings a friend to the next meeting. Board discussed name tags identifying individuals at events as FICRA president or other board member positions, which could be used year after year, which would give others who attend, more publicity to FICRA.
Treasure’s Report: Hal Goodell
BANK BALANCES:
Checking: Oct 1: $17,690.38 Oct 31: Cleared Balance: $17,576.04
Money Market: Oct 1: $30,853.10 Oct 31: Cleared Balance: $30,875.37
Pay Pal: Oct 1: $537.68 Oct 31: Balance: $682.72
Memberships for 2019-20 total 324. Nearly similar number of total expired members.
Unfinished Business: none
Committee Reports:
Membership: Naomi reports she would be willing to hand addressing persons who have not yet renewed membership for 2020 if this would add value. Hal, Howard and Naomi to work on Mail Merge. Naomi will work with Howard to create the letter. Social Activities: Trunk-o-Treat was a huge success with 96 kids attending, up from 80 last year, and 60 the year before. There were sandwiches, a fire with smore’s, as well as a Taco Truck, a Hayride, music provided by a DJ and the dancing inside was enjoyed. He reports it was very well received. Naomi and Board thank Miguel & his family for their time, effort and leadership on this event. Rob Reports that the Tree lighting this year will be 850 lights strong. Jim & Carolyn have been key in the decorating in the recent years. Miguel reports that there is $1000 set aside for Christmas decorations, but Rob has obtained all the new LED lights by donation. There will be Christmas Caroling by the fire. Discussion about a number and PA system to help with alleviating lines for the Santa pictures. Party with a Purpose: “Roaring into the 20s” is set for Jan 25th, 6-10 pm. Hal to do check-in/out. Committee to meet soon, no date set yet. Jim will be working with Naomi on large donors. Charleston Dance lesson early in the evening, then dance contest later. New wine glasses to be ordered, Kathy Smith is assisting. Howard is going to use Nelson Jay again this year. Hal recalls he needs a deposit ahead of time. Jill Peters will oversee silent auction, with helpful data from Deb. “Hook Me Up” is ragtime/big band is being booked for the evening. Registration cost will be more than previous years. Date went out on FB and the newsletter. Naomi is lead on the food. Jim suggests we may repurpose the Odyssey sign from last year. “Speak Easy’
Senior Activities: Ray excused Miguel reports for him. Materials available for display in the NCC for senior activities from Pierce County.
New Business: FICRA Newsletter to be mailed out next week. Hal reports all the activities need to be promoted. Should go to print by Monday, and to be mailed Tuesday. Miguel to send info to Lisa for printing.
Meeting Adjourned at 8:15 pm
Next Meeting is Dec 12, 2019
Respectfully submitted (by Gina Olson) for Secretary Naomi Grant

This entry was posted in FICRA, FICRA Board Meeting Minutes. Bookmark the permalink.