March 9, 2017

Board Attendees: Jim Braden, Hal Goodell, Denise Parrish, Howard Stapleton, and Mimi Miller were in attendance.  Bob Bowser and Uwe Krohn were excused.

The meeting was called to order at 8:16 by the Nominating Committee’s Jim Braden.

Nominating Committee: The slate of new officers was presented by Jim Braden and was opened for nominations from the floor.  No other nominations were presented.  The slate was elected by acclamation.  Carolyn Braden and Juanita Bjork were in attendance to count the votes, if needed.

The new Board approved by vote of the Members is:

  • President – Howard Stapleton
  • Vice President – Hal Goodell
  • Secretary – Denise Parrish
  • Treasurer – Mimi Miller
  • Director 1 – Deb Pishek
  • Director 2 – Lesley Murphy
  • Immediate Past President – Jim Braden

The following individuals were appointed to the Audit Committee by the Board:

  • Joan Broughton, Tony Moore, Lesley Murphy

Jim welcomed Howard to take over as President.  Howard called the meeting of the new Board to order.

Minutes from the February 9, 2017 meeting were approved.

President’s Report: Howard would like to see FICRA adopt a break-even ($0 net surplus) budget for 2017.  This is consistent with FICRA’s status as a non-profit and current financial position that does not require the organization to increase reserves or pay down debt.  In addition, we would like to offer new events for 2017 based on surveys of island residents to determine what activities people would like to see.

Treasurer’s Report: Mimi Miller

  • FICRA Checking Feb. 1 balance – $38,217.41, Feb. 28 balance- $38,050.57
  • FICRA Money Market Feb. 1 balance – $18,632.19, Feb. 28 balance- $18,633.62
  • FICRA Pay Pal Feb. 1 balance – $347.65, Feb. 28 balance- $395.59
  • Membership – 321 for 2016-2017 as of 3/9/17. As of 3/9/17, 172 members from the 2015-16  year have not renewed.

Committee Reports:

Social Committee – Lisa Stapleton sent a survey to individuals receiving the E-Flash requesting that they identify activities FICRA should sponsor. 45 people responded. The top areas of interest are: educational presentations, concerts, wine tasting, movie nights, and community potlucks.  Lisa is looking into companies that will do complimentary wine tastings.  She has also contacted Harbor Wild Watch, West Sound Wildlife, and Aging Smart.  Aging Smart has already responded. Based on the feedback, an event has been scheduled for Saturday, March 18th that will combine a member/guest potluck with a concert by the Magical Strings. Lisa asked if there are any volunteers that would like to help with this event.

Jean Peterson presented a potential speaker for a presentation on low-maintenance landscaping. A proposed time for this event is April 5th at 7:00 pm; April 12th is an alternate date.

Carolyn Braden spoke with Janet Steiner. Janet is happy with the Fox Island calendar idea.  Carolyn would like to see something happen for Halloween. Several ideas were suggested, including a parade of costumes, Trunk or Treat, haunted house, and a bonfire.

Membership Committee: Hal has graciously volunteered to lead this effort.

Publicity Committee: Lisa has distributed posters and posted a bridge sign for the Magical Strings concert.  She will do the same for the Plant Sale.  The upcoming printed (hard copy) FICRA newsletter was also discussed.

Unfinished Business:

Student speaker contest – Ray reported that a final communication has been sent to the schools. No entries have been submitted to date.

New Business:

Bridge Update – Jim continues to attempt to contact those involved with little response. He had a conversation with Michelle Caldier, but she was not encouraging.  The state is struggling with the budget. Craig Shaner will give us an update on May 2nd.

Jim also mentioned that we would like to host the Superintendent of Peninsula School District, Robert Manahan, to discuss bussing, emergency preparedness, the Speaker Contest, and our Scouting program.

Upcoming Events:

Easter Egg Hunt – April 15th, Contact Jim if you are able to help.

Clean Up – April 22nd 9-2.  Please contact Carolyn if you can volunteer so she knows how much soup to make.  We should also put this into the paper newsletter, on the FICRA web page and share it to Fox Island News.

The Meeting was adjourned at 9:02pm. The next meeting will be April 13th.


Posted in FICRA, FICRA Board Meeting Minutes, FICRA Board Meetings | Comments Off on FICRA BOARD MINUTES 3-9-2017




Mar 9, 2017


Board Attendees: Jim Braden, Tony Moore, Gina Olson, Ray Kittelberger and Mimi Miller.


Meeting opened by Tony Moore at 7:02 PM with the Pledge of Allegiance


Volunteers asked to sign in for the record.


Minutes:  The Feb 9, 2016 meeting minutes have been posted on-line, and were unanimously approved as corrected (brochure count).


President’s report: Tony Moore

The basement of the NCC Jim reports has remained remarkably dry compared to years prior, so efforts have been showing success. Tony reports oil usage appears to be 50% higher for heat for this winter season, and tank did not last entire year (filled March 8).


Consent Calendar Items: None


Treasurers Report: Mimi Miller.  Unclear why Trust Checking beginning balance for Feb is not the same as Jan Trust Checking end of month balance.   Jim to look into whether cleared balance and beginning balance are reason, and will make this one of the Finance Committee agenda items.

Trust Capital Checking: 

Feb 1 Balance: $19,731.77      Feb 28 Balance: $19,731.77

Trust Reserve Checking: 

Feb 1 Balance: $20,480.17 Feb 28 Balance: $20,480.17

Trust Checking account:

Feb1 Balance: $31,592.89 ($29,268.68)   Feb 28 Balance: $33,952.39

Money Market:

Feb 1 Balance: $1,911.28       Feb 28 Balance: $1,911.28

Trust PayPal: 

Feb 1 Balance: $3,836.21 Feb 28 End Balance $3836.21

Trust Savings: 

Feb 1 Balance: $78.93             Feb 28 End Balance $86.81


Approval of 2017 Budget:: There are some changes which will need to occur prior to approval as the January fundraiser results are in, and, the incoming FICRA president has some plans requiring a change to the FICRA budget, therefore the budgets will be revised and voted on next month. This will also be a Finance Committee agenda item.


A suggestion has also been made to discuss how money will be invested (another Finance Committee agenda item).


Committee Reports: 

Citizen Patrol: Stan Weston reports only 2 crimes in 2 months (1 vandalism, 1 mail theft) “…this is what we have worked for over the last 15 yrs.”  Stan reports compared to GH which had 202 crimes reported in last 2 months, we are doing well.  Also, John Jolibois, Assistant to Derek Young, has requested information regarding how much money is spent for and how many hours/year CP hires off duty PC deputies to cover FI.  It has been expressed as a “study in value” therefore, the board as decided to invite Derek Young to any future board meeting to further explain the County plan, intent for, or use of this information. Ray says the rate is set by the Sheriff Department lieutenant at $55 dollar/hour.

Emergency Planning: Ray Kittelberger.  County Roads Dept to give update on the status of the bridge, and in combination with this, Ray would like to have a FIEP and CP update beforehand.  We will invite Lt Rusty Wilder to be here at 5:30 pm to meet with CP volunteers.  There will be a FIEP display, tools, equipment display to show residents what has been accomplished so far and ask for more donations at that time to raise funds to further more FIEP efforts.  In prep for May 2nd meeting, Next Tues March 14, the EP team will meet and do a prep for this meeting. Side note: Abby and Ray were at PEP-C Meeting.  There was a representative from the WA St Nat Guard, named Col. Braun who laid out the response which is preplanned by WA NG for regional emergency, commissioned by FEMA. The scenario includes a 9.0 Earthquake, 5 min duration, with 7.0 aftershocks, 20’-80’tsunami, 15 mile inland, with all schools, hospitals, senior living facilities W of I-5 incapacitated, most bridges and roadways with severe damage, esp due to land liquefaction, 33-50% of police and fire response at best. Likely 20% of population will lack food and hydration.  And likely fuel, propane and nat gas not available with ruptured pipelines.  When this information is translated into our FIEP plan, it is apparent we ARE addressing the areas of major concern.  AGAIN, self sufficiency will be the corner stone. Abby has invited WA NG rep. to over view our plan and to give advised on prepositioning of supplies or resources.  We have for example, already pre-purchased Fuel at the FI Deli/market. Jim adds that there are no reports from the county in follow up to the FEMA exercise Cascadia Rising – likely because their data results were an overall disappointment requiring extensive study and recommendations. We need to continue to prepare for FI, as there will be no county support for a long time.  Most resources go to high density population areas first. Psychological first aid class was attended by Ray, Abby and Jean.

Building Committee: Jean Peterson reports that there are plans to repaint the exterior of the NCC building this summer, and has been researching paint colors.  She will meet with her team and review color choices and present them to the board for approval. This to occur after repairs and cleaning the exterior siding.  Jim reports that fixing up the play fields is a early spring/summer job. He is also working on hiring a contractor to acquire the electrical permit for the garage.  The capital Projects report will need to be reviewed and evaluated again too (another Finance Committee agenda item).

Nature Center: Ed Burrough reports the NC is very wet.  They planted 100 trees/plants (including red osier dogwood, western red cedar, scouler willow, flowering currant, cascara, and some maiden hair ferns) last Saturday in a swampy area to combat the weed grass matting and crowding out other plants.  The trees are planted to shade out the invasive non-native grass. Will continue to work, making progress!


Special Committees: 

Audit Committee: None.  No report, pending elections.

Nominating Committee:  Jim has an organization chart and nominees for various positions, and leadership positions for committees.  This can be discussed when each organization meets.   Nominees were again presented by the Nominating Committee: Jim Braden, Tony Moore, Gina Olson, Ray Kittelberger, and Mimi Miller.   Election is April 13th..


Unfinished Business:  

Capital Projects: Jim has sent out letters for “Buy a Brick” and those that contributed $250 or more at the Auction have been notified to give specific wording for their bricks: 3 lines 20 spaces.

Planning Calendar: Howard reports Lisa has created an Island wide calendar. Board members need more training on how to use this, and work using Word Press “Plug Ins.” This is a platform or tool he wants to use for the website.  He is looking for a board member or other FICRA member/person to volunteer to learn about “how to use tools for websites.” He says this is 2 months away.  Let him know if you are interested.

Update Brochure: Howard says the brochures have been ordered, and 500 ct should be here in about 2 weeks (approved at February meeting).

NCC Siding: see above building report.


New Business:

Zoning for Nature Center: Tony reports that changes were made recently to the Nature Center zoning and this is further being explored to protect it as a park status and prevent or protect it from any unplanned future development.  Philip Craven is working on this.


Next meeting is on Apr 13, 2016


Meeting Adjourned at 8:16 PM.


Respectfully Submitted by Gina Olson,  FICRA Trust Director


Posted in FICRA Building Trust, FICRA Building Trust Board Meeting Minutes, FICRA Building Trust Board Meetings | Comments Off on FICRA TRUST BOARD MINUTES 3-9-2017




Feb 9, 2017


Board Attendees: Jim Braden, Tony Moore, Gina Olson, Ray Kittelberger and Mimi Miller in attendance.


Meeting opened by Tony Moore at 7:02 PM with the Pledge of Allegiance


Volunteers asked to sign in for the record.


Minutes:  The Jan 12, 2016 meeting minutes have been posted on-line, and were unanimously approved.


President’s report: Tony Moore

Dave Hamlin (brings furniture to sell and donates at the Fair) made a brief presentation.  He has been making patio furniture for 21 yrs and sold 1200 pieces.  He has helped with many fundraisers.  He suggests that we host a patio furniture sale, and he thinks he can bring in $4000 – and he will donate 1/2 the money to FICRA, and pay all the taxes.  He suggests that if we advertise it, it will be successful. FICRA will consider this generous offer and try to coordinate it with the Spring cleanup event.


Emergency Planning Team is further developing the radio and communication component of FIEP (Fox Is Emergency Preparedness).  The next step is proposed to form a licensed Fox Is Ham Radio Club.  Doug Nelson explains that about 14 persons are certified.  Communicating in an emergency will be primarily done by HAM radio.  More radio operators are needed and a Club would have its own call sign, and may encourage more Island HAM folks to get involved.  A motion to have the Emergency Prep Team pursue development of a club was unanimously approved.


Tony thanked all those that helped to make the Jan Auction Evening in Venice a success.  He says that there were a lot who came together to make it happen, despite a late start.  The Auctioneer is retiring soon, so this will be a challenge for next year.  We appreciate his work greatly.


Consent Calendar Items: None


Treasurers Report: Mimi Miller

Trust Capital Checking: 

Jan 1 Balance: $8,678.67 Jan 31 Balance: $19,731.77

Trust Reserve Checking: 

Jan 1 Balance: $20,430.17 Jan 31 Balance: $20,480.17

Trust Checking account:

Jan 1 Balance: $25,365.48    Jan 31 Balance: $31,592.89

Money Market:

Jan 1 Balance: $1,911.28       Jan 31 Balance: $1,911.28

Trust PayPal: 

Jan 1 Balance: $1,296.93 Jan 31 End Balance $3,836.21

Trust Savings: 

Jan 1 Balance: $78.93             Jan 31 End Balance $78.93


Committee Reports: 

Citizen Patrol: Ray Kittelberger, for Stan Weston.  Year-end report from PC indicates total number of crimes for 2016 on FI (55) happens to be the exact same number as 2015.  However , the property crimes were down 21%, vandalism up 33%. Major crime of theft and burglary down substantially!  Increase in “crime” was drug use/possession and fraud/theft of credit cards. A very good report for the year.  We have 13 citizen patrol members now, and they are working well together.  Lastly, mail theft continues to be a problem. Stan to report on Jan next month.

Emergency Planning: Ray Kittelberger.  There are plans to form a Ham Radio club (see above).  Cascadia rising drill led EP Team to work on backup personnel for several positions – including Block Captains.  Bob Bowser has no back up at this time.  New infrastructure team has been formed with Fox Island Mutual Water Co.  There is planning for a special event in May, possibly to be coordinated with a bridge update from the county.  Also to include the Lt from the Sheriff’s Dept, and the fire Dept if available. Jim continues to spearhead contacts with the county personal, and Ray to contact FD#5 and sheriff dept. The RedCross has certified the NCC, FIAC and FIUCC as shelters in an emergency.  The Red Cross contact person who had promised supplies has left that position, so a new contact is yet to be established from Americorp.  The supplies promised will be dependent on this new contact.  Also FD#5 has red house numbers available for purchase to post at the street, which make finding residences much easier. We will encourage all to consider posting these which cost $12.50/ per letter. Also HELP/OK signs need improvements, increase numbers, and possibly water proofing.

Building Committee: Jim Braden and Jean Peterson.  Jean continues to press for replacement and restoration of the windows.  Jim toured the NCC with Tim Wilson addressing building maintenance (soffit repair, window sill repair, and preparation for painting).  Next goal is to repaint building – the first major job out of the Reserve Account.  Jean would like to form a committee to decide color choices of paint. The power outlet for the projector is going into the auditorium ceiling, soon. Speakers are also planned.  Howard recommends installing wifi cable at he same time.


After the terrible rains we have had recently, Jim is happy to report the basement is holding up very well.  The work to prevent water has been mostly a success, but more work is still needed. The parking lot is in need of re-grading soon. Electrical company  and volunteers to install electricity from the NCC to the storage/garage soon.


Nature Center:  Philip Craven is working to ensure that the NCC is protected as something similar to a park status, to protect it from being changed or sold in the future.


Special Committees: 

Audit Committee:  Judy Kanick is stepping down.  Joan, Tony, Leslie have all agreed to be on the Audit Committee.


Nominating Committee:  The team has been at work to identify candidates for the Trust Board and Audit Committee.  April 13th is election date. There are 5 positions on the Trust Board and when the new Board convenes after the election it names its officers.  The nominating committee has the list of nominees ready and has presented it tonight:  Jim Braden, Tony Moore, Mimi Miller, Gina Olson, and Ray Kittelberger for the Board and for the Audit Committee: Joan Broughton, Tony Moore, and Lesley Murphy.


Unfinished Business:  

Capital Projects: Jim has sent out letters for “Buy a Brick” to those that contributed $250 or more at the Auction and they have been notified to provide their message for the brick (3 lines, 20 spaces per line).

Planning Calendar: Howard states that the planning calendar is only as helpful as those who are trained and ready to utilize it.  Lisa is working on an Island wide calendar.

Update Brochure: Howard has been working on this, and has done a lot of planning/work.  The FICRA brochure to focus on events, photos of people.  FICRA Trust brochure is focused on building and grounds to those that are interested in renting.  Motion passed to buy 500 of each using 100 lb paper at about $110.


Welcome packets formed by us, and left at the Post Office will have the new brochures placed in it.  Phone books also considered to be added.

NCC Siding: see above Building Committee report


New Business: None


Next meeting is on Mar 9, 2016


Meeting Adjourned at 8:14 PM.


Respectfully Submitted by Gina Olson,  FICRA Trust Board Member



Posted in FICRA Building Trust Board Meeting Minutes, FICRA Building Trust Board Meetings | Comments Off on FICRA TRUST BOARD MINUTES 2-9-2017



February 9, 2017


Board Attendees: Jim Braden, Howard Stapleton, Mimi Miller, Hal Goodell, Denise Parrish, and Bob Bowser. Uwe Krohn, excused.


Minutes from the January 12, 2017 meeting approved with corrections to Board members.

President’s Report: No items.

Consent Calendar: No items.


Treasure’s Report: 


FICRA  Checking: 12-31 Balance: $37,862.47  1-31 Balance: $38,211.31

Money Market:  12-31 Balance: $18,630.61 1-31 Balance: $18,632.19

PayPal Balance: 12-31 Balance: $155.89 1-31 Balance: $347.65

Membership for 2017 is at 310.  Un-renewed membership from 2015-16 is 181.

The budget for 2017 was held in abeyance and is now scheduled for approval at the March 9th Board meeting.


Committee Reports: 

Social Activities Committee & Publicity Committee:  Jim thanked Lisa Stapleton for helping us stay ahead of things for these two committees.  The Publicity Committee will send the bridge surveys out that are described below.


Membership Committee: Much discussion on changing the membership cycle to calendar year.  Motion passed to keep the cycle date as is (Aug.1 to July 31) but to get reminders out to delinquent members and have an invitation sent ahead of the Fair to all residents inviting them to come to the Fair and become a member.  The phone calling process is also a possibility.


Special Committees:

Nominating Committee:  The Nominating Committee submitted the slate for the March 9 election: President: Howard Stapleton, V.P. Hal Goodell, Treasurer: Mimi Miller, Secretary: Denise Parrish, Director: Deb Pishek, and Director: Lesley Murphy.  Jim Braden will occupy the Immed. Past President position.  Audit Committee:  Joan Broughton, Tony Moore, and Lesley Murphy.


Unfinished Business: 

The student speaker contest on April 11.  Ray Kittelberger has followed up with personnel at the high schools.  Publicity for the event includes reminders in the ficra flash : Feb, Mar, and April, Fox Island Living magazine March and April, and FICRA’s facebook and Fox Island News.


New Business: 

Bridge Update: Jim is continuing to pursue relationships with Representative Caldier and Senator Angel to press for the bridge.  He has talked to County Engineer Kraig Shaner who has sent us the upgraded survey by a professional survey firm to learn maritime concerns on a new bridge design (mainly bridge boat pass-through height and width).  We will get the survey to local boaters.  They want the returns by March 6, 2017.


Adjourned at 9:15 PM.  Next Meeting is March 9, 2017.


Respectfully submitted by Denise Parrish, Secretary


Posted in FICRA, FICRA Board Meeting Minutes, FICRA Board Meetings | Comments Off on FICRA BOARD MINUTES 2-9-2017


Thursday, March 9th, 2017, 8:00 PM
Nichols Community Center, Fox Island, Washington
FICRA Board of Directors
Jim Braden President
Hal Goodell Vice President
Denise Parrish Secretary
Mimi Miller Treasurer
Howard Stapleton Director
Bob Bowser Director
Uwe Krohn Immediate Past President


  1. Call to order by the Nominating Committee
  2. Conduct election of FICRA Board, Officers and Audit Committee
  3. New President convenes new FICRA Board for March meeting
  4. Approval of February 9, 2017 FICRA Board Meeting Minutes
  5. President’s Report
  6. Consent Calendar (see below)
  7. Treasurers Report (Approve 2017 Budget)
  8. Committee Reports
    1. Social Activities Committee
    2. Membership Committee
    3. Publicity Committee
  9. Special Committees
  10. Unfinished Business
    1. Status of Student Speaker contest
  11. New Business
    1. Bridge strategy update
  12. Meeting Adjournment (next meeting: Thursday, April 13th , 2017)


These are items that will be approved as a package unless a Board member or person from the audience requests an item be removed and discussed in detail individually.  The President will ask for any such requests ahead of the approval.  The Board discusses what it considers to be non-controversial issues between meetings and then conducts a vote on these in the regular meeting as a package to keep the regular meetings as time-effective as possible.

  1. No items


Posted in FICRA, FICRA Board Meeting Agenda, FICRA Board Meetings | Comments Off on FICRA BOARD AGENDA 3-9-2017